Friday 1 November 2013

All the lonely people, where do they all come from?

Seriously, at Shibuya crossing where do all the people come from?? From my great view at Starbucks I could see all that was going on at the famous 'Scramble Crossing.' The pavement fills up with throngs of people, the light goes green, and everyone`s off! Some run, some saunter along, everyone goes in a different direction. Then the light changes to red and there is a hoot of car horns aimed at the people stranded in the middle of the crossing, which by the way happened EVERYTIME! The cars zoom past, along with the advertising lorries, ambulances, fire engines and bicycles. Then before you know it the pavement has filled up again and we`re back to step one!

I went on Sunday, around 11:30 and it was busy. But apparently the evening is when it really comes alive. I had read about the wonderful view you get overlooking the crossing from Starbucks but had also read that you would be unlikely to find a seat. However I wanted to go up anyway just to check, and what do you know, there were plenty of spare seats! So if you ever do find yourself amidst all the hustle and bustle of Shibuya then I really recommend spending half an hour drinking a coffee, eating a muffin and watching the beating heart of Tokyo.



I thought I couldn`t just show you ordinary pictures of the crossing, so I heavily edited them to emphasis the overload of people and colour and noise.


2 comments:

  1. Looks like such a great spot for people watching^^ I would want to sit there forever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! Yes it must be one of the most interesting places in the world for people watching!

      Delete