Thursday 25 September 2014

Return of the Rudeboy Fashion Exhibition


I mentioned in my Somerset House post that as well as the film poster exhibition (and the delicious cakes) I also went to a fashion exhibition called Return of the Rudeboy. Now, I have to admit before I went to this exhibition I had no idea what Rudeboy style was like.

So what is rudeboy?
Rudeboy is a subculture, like mods and rockers, which originated in Jamaica during the late 1950s. Rudeboys have a very distinctive style; mohair suits, thin ties and pork pie hats. As you can see from the photos below they look very smart but in a cool and original way.

I couldn't believe this exhibition was free! It was small but a great insight into Rudeboy style with a wonderful collection of clothes and photography displayed in a really interesting way. I love the way they used old suitcases as photo frames! This exhibition has now finished but I have seen that in November two new fashion exhibitions will start.












After looking at these photos what do you think about Rudeboy style?

6 comments:

  1. Oh yes! The exhibition is everything I could have hoped for! It is awesome. This is exactly why I called my dog Rudeboy ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great, I loved it! Haha I had never heard of the term Rudeboy before this exhibition!

      Delete
  2. i've never heard of rudeboy before....this sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never heard of it either, but I really like it now!

      Delete
  3. I really love that style! If there was a cute guy in those clothes in front of me, I would fall for him I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great style isn't it! Same here, much better than trackies!

      Delete